Subject: Re: [lojban] tunlo

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 22:36:14 +0000

la pycyn cusku di'e

><<
> > The full list of basic actions seem to be: cisma, cmila, frumu,
> > senci, tunlo (smile, laugh, frown, sneeze, swallow). Can you
> > elaborate on the range that they can cover?
> >>
>And {bikla} "whip".

How does one "whip"? I considered adding that one, but I wouldn't
know how to whip. I think I used {bikla} a couple of times, but
only as a modifier, and basically meaning {suksa}. What is the
basic action that is covered by {bikla}?

>The most of these are facial in a broad sense, but the
>original "philosophical" idea was much more about gross bodily movements,
>muscle contractions at various points in the voluntary sets -- more like
>{bikla} in fact, but harder in general to find good words for.

So the odd tunlo place structure is a remnant of a discarded
theory?

>"kick, blink,
>step (just lifting the foot, not the whole process), bend, straighten" are
>some relatively easy cases;

{binxo lo korcu} and {binxo lo tolkorcu} for "bend" and "straighten".
"kick" would be {tikpa zi'o zi'o}, is that what you mean? and similarly
for "step" {stapa zi'o}. What would "blink" be?

>harder ones are flexing a finger, raising a knee,
>and so on: the muscle components of all meaningful actions -- that is, the
>pieces deprived of meaning.

{krogau lo degji}, {lafti lo cidni}, they seem easier than "blink".

><<
>What are all the cases?
> >>
>I don't supppose there is a complete list; it is pretty open-ended. I 
>don't
>remember what other cases were considered and rejected or what ignored or
>discovered too late. There were a few of the first sort and more of the
>later.

I'm not sure I understand the principle involved.

mu'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________
MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: 
http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx