Subject: Re: [lojban] word for "www" (was: Archive location.)

From: Robert LeChevalier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 18:37:31 -0400

At 10:07 PM 9/11/02 +0000, Jorge Llambias wrote:
>la lojbab cusku di'e
> >just as
> >prenu means both "person" and "people".
>
>Can {pa prenu} ever mean "one people"? I've never seen
>it used like that.

We're English speakers (for the most part), and hence tend to base our 
usage on Englishs singular/plural distinctions. I've never seen "pa djacu" 
used to refer to 1 molecule of water.

No one ever uses a lujvo for "United States", one of the only concepts in 
English with a historical record of switching from plural to singular. (I 
think however that there are some differences between British and American 
English on singular/plural differences in some collectives - that might be 
another place where we could look for an answer.

In short, there hasn't been a lot of usage to decide %^)

lojbab

-- 
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org