Subject: Re: [lojban] word for "www" (was: Archive location.)

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 12:24:58 +0000

la lojbab cusku di'e

>But then why isn't a person "pa selci be lo'e prenu", with pa prenu being a
>quantity of persons (i.e. a people)

Because we are more interested in talking about individual
persons than about individual water molecules, and the basic
roots define the more common concepts.

> >I have seen {mergu'e} used often, which is a lujvo for "United States".
>
>Has it ever been quantified? Is there pa mergu'e or muno mergu'e?

pa mergu'e without the slightest doubt.

>I don't think we can say one way or another until we see how people
>translate the concept of "one people" in some context where it would use
>prenu.

But you did say it could be just as well one or the other.
I agree that usage could eventually make prenu meaningful
in that sense or any other, but it would be very far from the
current meaning.

>(I suspect that I would usually use natmi or the x2 of one of the
>places that has a people in that place like bangu).

Yes, so would I.

mu'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________
Join the world’s largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail. 
http://www.hotmail.com