Subject: Re: [lojban] tunlo

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 22:57:21 +0000

la pycyn cusku di'e

><<
>Maybe {kalgaifri} for "blink", {kalgaifru} for "wink"?
> >>
>I take it that the action is the same in both cases (though a stage wink 
>can
>get a bit more of the face involved) and the difference is in intended
>meaning (blinks don't have any).

I think also blinking is normally done with both eyes, winking
with one.

>So, "wink" ought to be an extension of
>"blink" to show the meaning. Winking, unlike blinking, is not a basic 
>action
>(I think).

But it fits better with kick, step, bend, stretch in that it is
intentional. Blinking is more like breathing, or having a tic,
something that you normally do unconsciously.

>I don't get {kalgaifri} "eyelid experience" for "blink" -- what is the
>metaphor involved (or the rule being used)?

Just emphasizing that it is not something one does with volition.
It can be seen as something experienced rather than acted (English
doesn't do it this way, but I'm sure some languages must).
{lifri tu'a lei kalgai be vo'a}, experience the action that involves
one's eyelids.

mu'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________
Join the world’s largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail. 
http://www.hotmail.com