Subject: RE: [lojban] Re: I like chocolate

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 23:25:06 +0000

la and cusku di'e

>So how would you do "The [generic] lion lives in Africa"?

I think I would say:

lo'e cinfo cu xabju le friko

to say that Africa has lions. I agree that {loi} would work
just as well here, and so would {lo}.

Now, if the meaning is that Afrika is the only relevant place
where lions live, I would say:

lo'e cinfu cu xabju le friko po'o

Only Africa is inhabited by lions: The lion lives (only) in Africa.
{loi} and {lo} would not work here due to scope issues. We would
need to put {le friko po'o} in front of the {su'o} quantifier to
get the right sense:

le friko po'o cu se xabju loi cinfo

>I'm not suggesting that as a satisfactory substitute for lo'e;
>I'm suggesting it as a way of making explicit what lo'e is
>short for. For instance, "ko'a cinfo" can be said as
>"tu'o du'u ce'u da cinfo ku ckaji ko'a" -- there you're
>talking about lions yet referring to the Lion intension,
>so it's not impossible, even if it is not the way you'd
>ordinarily want to express it.

Ok, I think {lo'e broda} cannot be expanded in terms of
{su'o da} or {ro da}. It could be done with {zu'i poi}
but that doesn't help you. If you accept {tu'o} then it
might just be that {lo'e broda} = {tu'o lo broda}.

>OK. Once you've persuaded pc you'll have to said about
>persuading everyone else; it's the one xorxesism I've
>never bought.

I'm sure there were others, some which you persuaded me
to abandon.

mu'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________
Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device: http://mobile.msn.com