Subject: RE: Logfest2003 and beyond.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 17:28:33 EDT

As an only occasional attender to Logfest, let me toss in a few fepni.
1. As I age even more, my body likes less and less sleeping on floors and 
being stepped on by people dashing to computers, so the idea of being in a 
h/motel room wiht a bed is appealing. On the other hand, it would probably 
double the cost of attending (even Motel 66 -- the bottom of the line -- cost 
$50/night. OK, so add another half to the cost). Not counting transportation 
to and fro, if some of the activities were still on Beau Lane, and meals 
(conversely). Feasilbe, but, as Lojbab suggests, I'd as soon give the money 
to book publishing or such like -- if I am going to use the money for Lojban 
at all.

2. On the other hand, a hotel could be anywhere and we could get Logfest 
back to being a floating party, rather than only at "corporate headquarters."

3. The bidness meeting is never my favorite part of Logfest or any other get 
together. Any plan to move that out onto the net (and, thus, include the 
absence several in a meaningful way) would get my hearty agreement. If it 
were Sunday afternoon at Logfest (when are we going to change that to 
"Lojfest" by the way?), I would be inclined to leave Sunday morning (but for 
the airline price differential that saves about $100 if I wait til Monday). 

4. The original Logfests were held in vqrious places in New England 
(Jenners' in ME before they moved to the nauga burying ground, somebody 
else's in Western MA). They were purely social and educational, since there 
was no bidness to do (this was before the nominal spin-off of TLI from being 
a DBA for JCB [God, that looks so official] -- so decisions were all 
top-down). I think that, even without a business meeting (maybe, especially 
without one), Lojfest would be a thriving event. I know that I come at the 
list with renewed interest now that I can visualize my interlocutors (though 
few of my faves, alas -- a small reason for a movable feat, but Argentina or 
even England seems out of reach. But there was at least one old style 
Logfest in England and maybe one on the Continent in the late 70's - early 
80's).

4. e-mail meeting make the called-for simultaneous translation a much more 
feasible program.