Subject: RE: [lojban] RE: Logfest2003 and beyond.

From: Robert LeChevalier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 21:16:52 -0400

At 12:25 AM 9/15/02 +0100, And Rosta wrote:
> > As an only occasional attender to Logfest, let me toss in a few fepni.
> > 1. As I age even more, my body likes less and less sleeping on floors and
> > being stepped on by people dashing to computers, so the idea of being in a
> > h/motel room wiht a bed is appealing.
>
>Do people *really* sleep on the floor at Logfest? I haven't slept on a floor
>since 1986 & can't imagine not staying in a hotel. Is sleeping on floors
>part of American culture?

Living REAL cheap has been part of Lojban (or at least LogFest) culture, 
since we have been perpetually short of cash and heavy with low-income 
college students (though many of these have aged). In addition, for the 
longest time, people brought sleeping bags.

Actually our house has a goodly supply of spare beds and futons (albeit the 
latter lie on the floor) and couches and reclining chairs, so that despite 
over 20 people at LogFest last summer, I don't think that anyone slept on 
the floor unless they chose to (local Paulfrancis O'Sullivan often chooses 
to). There was a lot of doubling up in queen-sized beds, however.

There has never been a "rule" against motels - Bob McIvor stayed in one 
when he came to LogFest. But LogFest activities traditionally have gone 
into all hours of the night, with people going to sleep only when they 
could stay awake no longer (and Nick among others seeming NEVER to sleep), 
and on Sunday morning needing a wake up call in order for the meeting to 
start at 1030AM, the latest that we could start and be likely to finish 
before people had to leave Sunday. Locals who went home for the night 
(paralleling the motel case) usually left at utterly sane hours like 11PM, 
thereby missing a lot of the fun. The fact that motels in this area are 
more expensive than in other parts of the country did not help.

>(Does anybody smoke? I can't imagine much worse than sleeping on the
>floor in a nonsmoking environment...)

No smokers, and we keep two air filters running constantly because of cats 
in the house, which some people are allergic to).

lojbab

-- 
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org