Subject: Re: [lojban] Browsing in Lojban with Opera

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 13:43:54 -0400 (EDT)

Jay F Kominek scripsit:

> What does one do with the file when it is translated? Drop it into the
> Opera directory and Opera notices it? (Is there a web page discussing
> this on Opera's site?)

Yes, at http://www.opera.com/opera5/localization.html . They want to
know the following things in an e-mail to [email-masked] :

1. Are you a native speaker?
2. Do you have any experience in translating/writing?
3. How good is your grammar and written native language? How familiar
are you with technical terms in your language?
4. What kind of background do you have?
5. Are you familiar with the Internet and HTML? What kind of text editor
do you plan to use for your translation?
6. How familiar are you with technical terms: protocols, encryption
7. How many hours per day/week/month do you plan to use on this job?
8. Which operating system do you use or have?
9. Do you have a spell checker you could use?

Some of these are pretty intrusive, but you don't have to tell the truth.

The biggest problem with getting actual *support* for Lojban, of course,
is that they aren't going to be able to verify that your text doesn't say
the Lojban for "You eat camel farts" instead of "Could not establish
a connection to the printer". (I once "localized" a minicomputer Basic
into Looney-Tunes-ese: it said "WHAT'S UP DOC?" instead of the classic
"READY", and "NO SUCH LUCK DOC" instead of "FILE NOT FOUND".)
So a better idea might be just to make it available with instructions
through the Wiki.Then try to find Opera-specific channels and post its
availability there.

I was inspired to this by the availability, posted on Conlang, of Opera
localization into the conlang Jameld.

-- 
John Cowan
[email-masked]
I am a member of a civilization. --David Brin