Subject: Re: taiku ?

From: Jordan DeLong <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 22:10:26 -0500

On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 04:27:32PM -0700, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> I just encountered an, ah, interesting use of taiku in fracture's
> section of the interactive story.
> 
> It's apparently due to xorxes.
> 
> As it was explained to me:
> 
> So, say we have a bunch of story text, followed by:
> 
> no'i taiku mi klama

Actually it was ni'o I think, but na vajni.

> Apparently the colloquial translation is something like:
> 
> "And so, I went.".

"And so" meaning (to me) something kinda close to "like this". Note
this is not the kind of "like" that the other branch in this thread
seems to have been distracted by (to me, at least).

> This makes absolutely *no* sense to me. Really. None at all.
> 
> I would like to hear people's comments. xorxes' in particular, but
> anyone who wants to chime in, feel free.

Just to further explain: I picked this usage up from reading text which
xorxes did; I don't know if he actually coined it. It follows directly
from the more obvious usages:
ko'a bajra tai le'e xirma
He ran like a horse

The above and this being the only usages of tai I've seen. A long
while back when I was first starting I translated "Little Things"
by Raymond Carver (it's on the wiki at
http://nuzban.wiw.org/wiki/index.php?full=Little%20Things
if anyone wants to read it) and used "ta'iku" to mean "in this
method/manner". (another sort of a "like this" but with subtle
differences).

-- 
Jordan DeLong - [email-masked]
lu zo'o loi censa bakni cu terzba le zaltapla poi xagrai li'u
sei la mark. tuen. cusku