Subject: Re: [lojban] carolingianosity

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 06:41:18 -0400 (EDT)

Nick Nicholas scripsit:

> ... and that leads me to a question. {la nanmu poi barda} is Mr Great 
> Man, and {la nanmu ku poi barda} is the great Mr Man. I gather {la 
> poi barda ku'o nanmu} is also {la nanmu ku poi barda}? And with 
> cmene, I can't do this trick, can I --- I can't distinguish between 
> *Charles Great {la karolus poi barda} and the great Charles *{la 
> karolus ku poi barda} --- let alone *{la poi barda karolus}.

Correct, there is no way to make a name in Lojban that is only partly
meaningful. If I had to do it, I would say la me la karolus. barda
or something of the sort. This fellow is interesting: in English, his
name is completely opaque, in French it's partly opaque and partly not,
but in German his name *is* la karolus. poi barda: Karl der Grosse.
Of course, in Germany he's a German emperor, whereas in France (and
a fortiori in Anglophonia) he's a French emperor.

-- 
De plichten van een docent zijn divers, John Cowan
die van het gehoor ook. [email-masked]
--Edsger Dijkstra http://www.ccil.org/~cowan