Subject: lo'e, le'e, tu'o

From: And Rosta <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 16:35:00 +0100

Jorge:
#la and cusku di'e
#>I wonder whether,for the benefit of people other than Jorge & pc,
#>Jorge could give us a canonical list of examples using {lo'e}.
#
#I don't think I could give a canonical list. The examples
#we've been using are things like {nelci lo'e cakla},
#{nitcu lo'e tanxe}, {pixra lo'e sincrboa}, {simsa lo'e sfofa},
#{claxu lo'e rebla}, etc. those are useful, but {lo'e} makes
#sense in any position where {lo} does.
#
#What do you think of the explanation of {broda lo'e brode}
#in terms of {kairbroda}?

I still haven't had time to digest those ideas, but in the meantime
I have remembered an old argument in favour of {lo'e} or
{tu'o} in these exx. It seems to me that what is essentially
going on in these exx -- and also generally with generic
reference -- is that a category is being conceptualized as
a single individual ("myopic singularization"). E.g. it is
quite easy to think of Chocolate as a single individual,
and "I like chocolate" means the same as "I like Chocolate".

So on this basis I understand your use of {lo'e} and agree
with it. The question that remains in my mind is whether
there is a difference between {lo'e broda} and {tu'o broda}.

BTW, this automatically gives us a useful meaning for
{le'e} -- it would mean {(ro) le pa}.

--And.