Subject: Re: [lojban] word for "www" (was: Archive location.)

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 00:46:43 +0000

Lee Daniel Crocker <[email-masked]>:
>I'm not sure I agree; they are clearly the same {se cukta},
>but I would call them different {cukta}, as I would a {cukta} in
>a third form, such as a website. I don't think the particulars
>of its arrangement into pages is what makes it a {cukta} either,
>but I /do/ think that a {cukta} must be /some specific/ physical
>manifestation of the {se cukta}. "Le Petit Prince" is a {se cukta}.
>My copy of "Le Petit Prince" in hardbound paper is a {cukta}, as
>is your copy on a long scroll, and the online copy at the Project
>Gutenberg web site.

Yes, that agrees with the official definition:

cukta cku book
x1 is a book containing work x2 by author x3 for audience
x4 preserved in medium x5
[x1 is a manifestation/container [a physical object or its analogue]
of a work/content, not necessarily using paper (= selpapri)];

The older definition (the one I have in my printed version of
the gi'uste) had:

x1 is a book about subject/theme/story x2 by author x3 etc.
[this is a quantity of text, and not the physical
object (= selpapri);

So it used to be the work - theme relationship, but now it is the
object - work relationship. (Unfortunately!)

In any case, it was never about pages.

mu'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________
MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: 
http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx