Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: Translation request

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 19:02:44 +0000

la xod cusku di'e

> > Using {le bangu} suggests that you're talking of a particular
> > language, and, even though they obviously do have a particular
> > language in mind, they don't present it that way.
>
>huh?

They say: "A language with such and such properties is the
best solution". They don't say that they have a particular
language in mind. Obviously they want you to conclude: "Hey,
Esperanto fits that description!", but the sentence doesn't
say it nor imply it.

> Repeating traji
> > is necessary because they claim it is the most fundamental,
> > the most economic, and the most democratic, not just the most
> > in all three things together but the most in each of them, which
> > is a stronger claim.
>
>I don't agree that repetition creates a stronger claim.

Suppose Esperanto was the simplest, English the most economical,
Chinese the most democratic (just for the sake of argument),
and Lojban the most simple-economical-democratic when all
is measured together. The claim is not for a language
that is the most when everything is measured together, but
one that is the most in each one of the properties, so not even
Lojban in our example would pass the test.

Of course the whole thing is pretty vacuous anyway.

mu'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________
Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: http://messenger.msn.com