Subject: Re: [lojban] corrigible vlaste? RE: Re: I like chocolate

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 21:19:31 EDT

In a message dated 9/20/2002 2:23:20 PM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

<<
> It's really the baseline that is ill-conceived. It is inevitable that
> at the stage of development the language was at when it was baselined
> it would be full of things awkward & ill-conceived. 
>>
I suppose it was inevitable and the baseliners should have made some 
provision for it, but coming from a situation in which nothing was ever 
nailed down, but subject to change on (quite literally) a whim, they erred in 
the othre direction. And, for all that, the results have been pretty 
unchallenged over the years -- we don't have a count, alas, but I have less 
than a hundred headings in my vocab files, and many of those are not really 
serious changes but clarifications and other are [well, you know, like 
yours].

<<
> I wonder whether it would be worthwhile keeping on a wiki a ma'oste
> and gi'uste where revisions can be made that correct some of the faults
> of the baselined versions -- stripping out unnecessary sumti places,
> making place structures consistent, revising definitions, etc. That
> way we have some sort of ongoing record of what the vocab should be
> like had it not been baselined, and it also means that we have a
> shared point of reference.
>>
It might be useful to have them some public place, but I think that the Wiki, 
which probably wants to keep its LLG approval rating, is the wrong place. I 
offer the Loccan archives for now and will pump up a list of existing 
questions for a place with that. This is what loCCan is for, after all. It 
probably doesn't even mind Cloud-cuckooese, as long as there is a reasonable 
connection the historic Loglan and Lojban.

<<> 
> Whenever Jorge points out flaws in the gismu, I invariably agree
> with him, but don't keep records of the revisions that his remarks
> imply. It would be useful to record these in the form of a corrigible
> vlaste.
>>
xorxes or you worrying about a word is a good reason to look at it carefully. 
This does NOT mean, however, that your solutions to the problem are the best 
-- or even acceptable -- within Lojban. Some of them are, after all, using a 
thermonuclear device as a flyswatter.