Subject: [lojban] Re: Sets and classes

From: Jordan DeLong <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 20:10:01 -0500

On Sat, Sep 21, 2002 at 05:40:08PM -0700, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 21, 2002 at 08:10:10PM -0400, Pierre Abbat wrote:
> > In mathematical usage, "class" is {klesi} (or maybe {zilkle} since x2
> > is always sets) and "set" appears to be {selcmi}. But what of the
> > empty set? {} selcmi noda, and {selcmi noda} is equivalent to {na
> > selcmi}. So what is the word for "set"?
> 
> What makes you think that selcmi noda == na selcmi? And what about lo
> selcmi poi kunti?

The selcmi noda = na selcmi is done by exploiting something in
chapter 16 (search for ``External Bridi Negation'') and then ignoring
the fact that "na selcmi" implies something different:

selcmi noda ==
selcmi naku da ==
naku zo'u selcmi da ==
na selcmi da

this is all find and good. But for some reason people decide to
drop the da after the point, claiming it's the same as na selcmi.
Though perhaps the zo'e could be "da", it is at the least misleading,
and at the most plain wrong.

-- 
Jordan DeLong - [email-masked]
lu zo'o loi censa bakni cu terzba le zaltapla poi xagrai li'u
sei la mark. tuen. cusku