Subject: RE: [lojban] Re: Sets and classes

From: "And Rosta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 12:17:02 +0100

Jorge:
> la djorden cusku di'e
> > > {zilselcmi} should cover all sets though, including the empty one.
> >
> >I think selcmi should also.
> 
> Only if it can be interpreted as {selcmi be zi'o}, which may very
> well end up being what happens.

It's a reasonable suggestion, given that (i) selcmima should
differ in meaning from se cmima, and (ii) "x1 is cardinality of
set x2" is a useful predicate.

> Perhaps the rule should be changed so that unfilled sumti places
> should by default be filled with {zi'o} rather than {zo'e}? It
> would certainly make some things more intuitive.

Ignoring the baseline violation issue, it's an interesting idea,
which would probably in and of itself improve most people's usage
a great deal. In an ideal world, though, I think it would be 
better to have the current rule, plus better (i.e. more
parsimonious) place structures, plus much greater rigour in
usage (so that place structures are actually heeded).

--And.