Subject: Tengwar on frontespieces

From: Nick Nicholas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 11:15:19 +1000

I draw your attention to http://nuzban.wiw.org/wiki/index.php?Tengwar
In particular to the suggestion that Tengwar might be nice to have on 
a frontespiece of the lessons. Also 
http://nuzban.wiw.org/wiki/index.php?Why%20Tengwar%3F , which has 
plenty of arguments for and against Tengwar.
Note in particular:
(con) Tengwar is Grand Geek Central, and We Don't Want Lojban 
Associated With It;
(pro) Tengwar is just about as old as anything in Lojban, and is part 
of Lojban culture inasmuch as several people in the community use it 
off and on.

So:

Would anyone vehemently object to the Lessons cover art containing 
Tengwar alongside Roman script for Lojban?

Would anyone objecting object less vehemently if the Tengwar is 
somehow disguised, stylised, or deemphasised?

Same question for Level 0.

My own opinion is: no Tengwar on Level 0, a publication more 
explicitly associated with the LLG and officialness; but yes, 
stylised and deemphasised Tengwar on the cover of the Lessons, which 
is a less official project.

I'm particularly interested in my co-author's opinion on this. Robin?
-- 
**** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ****
* Dr Nick Nicholas, Linguistics/French & Italian [email-masked] *
University of Melbourne, Australia http://www.opoudjis.net
* "Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity of locutional rendering, the *
circumscriptional appelations are excised." --- W. Mann & S. Thompson,
* _Rhetorical Structure Theory: A Theory of Text Organisation_, 1987. *
**** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ****