Subject: [lojban] Re: cmavo for emphasis?

From: Jay F Kominek <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 11:24:54 -0600

On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 06:01:01PM +0100, And Rosta wrote:
> Jay:
> #On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 05:35:35PM +0100, And Rosta wrote:
> #> Yes about {ba'e} as the emphasis marker. But what I said wasn;t
> #> irrelevant. Viktor asked "how do we express this", I said how, and
> #> Jay answered that users of the language wouldn't understand the
> #> usage. In a sense I was arguing that Jay's point was irrelevant,
> #> that what users will or won't understand doesn't tell us much about
> #> Lojban.
> #
> #Users won't understand it because it is bloody well wrong, as you've
> #now noticed.
> 
> Do people say "bloody well wrong" in Colorado? It sounds very British
> to my ears.

Nope, just me. It is, here, at least, considered less invective, and
more acceptable than something like "fucking". Sorry if thats the
opposite case elsewhere. I ought to be a bit more careful.

> Anyway, did you not read what I wrote? Viktor's examples suggested
> he was asking about focus, and what I originally said was wrong in
> applying to emphasis, but relatively right in applying to focus.

Sure, I'm not saying anything one way or the other about focus. But
I was responding on emphasis from the start, and I personally thought
it was quite clear exactly what he was asking for. If you thought he
meant focus, well, I can understand why you suggested something different.
Anything I said about your rightness or wrongness was entirely in the
scope of whether or not it worked for emphasis. (Except the missing 
'cu's. :)

> But that still doesn't mean that users will understand it, because
> the users are not very competent in Lojban.

Oh, you'd be surprised.

-- 
Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Advice is a dangerous gift; be cautious
about giving and receiving it.