Subject: Re: [lojban] tu'o usage

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 12:00:15 EDT

In a message dated 9/24/2002 9:45:06 AM Central Daylight Time, [email-masked] 
writes:

<<
> The difference between 'stated' and 'displayed' in a sentence that the
> origanotor means to be true seems fallacious to me.
> But anyway, there is a example in CLL p.131, where Cowan says:
> 'Using exact numbers as inner quantifiers.....you are STATING that exactly
> that many things exist'
> and also
> 'lo ci gerku cu blabi'.... CLAIMS also that there are only three dogs
> in the universe!
>>
The difference would appear when someone claimed it was false (English not 
being good at distinctions here) or when a negation was moved through. On 
the latter, I have yet to see a case of INNER change.
As for CLL, I have already noted that it seems in many ways oblivious to 
presuppositions. What I suppose is going on there is just that, if there are 
not exctly three dogs, we would not accept the claim even if all the dogs 
there were were white (I'm not, by the way, sure this is true -- many might 
say "Yeah, except there are actually four dogs" or some such thing).