Subject: [lojban] Re: Ygyde language is better than Lojban

From: Jim Carter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 16:37:45 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 12:05:39AM +0200, Andrew Nowicki wrote:
> > Ygyde conlang is easy to pronounce, easy to
> ...
>
> That's nice.
>
> > Description of the Ygyde language is posted at:
> > http://www.medianet.pl/~andrew/ygyde/ygyde.htm
>
> Ummm, you wouldn't believe how bad that page looks in Opera.

Come on, I didn't have any trouble with it using Opera 6.02 for Linux. The
page design is simple but it gets the job done. (A few of my own
preferences: use <I></I> rather than <B></B> for Ygyde text; the bold face
is too heavy. A DTD and <META> elements giving the author's name,
copyright, etc. would be nice in the <HEAD>. Legally I would be happier
with a copyright and a very broad license. For the grammar explanation I
would have used a <DL> or possibly a table; and definitely a table for the
dictionary of compound words. The color chart came out reasonable
looking.)

There are a lot of interesting concepts in Ygyde, but the Lojban list is
not the right forum to discuss them. It's tempting to think of modifying
Lojban to use the best of Nowicki's work, but Lojban is oriented to using
the language and gaining recruits, for which stability is important. I
hope to not see a flood of "suppose Lojban did it this way..." proposals.

<Insert plug for -gua!spi here.>

James F. Carter Voice 310 825 2897 FAX 310 206 6673
UCLA-Mathnet; 6115 MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA, USA 90095-1555
Email: [email-masked] http://www.math.ucla.edu/~jimc (q.v. for PGP key)