Subject: [lojban] Re: paroi ro mentu

From: Jordan DeLong <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 01:10:15 -0500

On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 11:00:37PM +0000, Jorge Llambias wrote:
> What do you all think of this:
> 
> le plini cu mulcarna paroi ro mentu
> 
> 1- Is {mulcarna} good for "x1 makes a full turn around x2
> in direction x3"?

This works fine I think; I don't think carna requires that the
axis of rotation intersect the le carna, so it should be fine.

> 2- The problem with {paroi ro mentu} is that the quantifiers
> are in the wrong order. The alternative {ro da poi mentu zo'u
> le plini cu mulcarna paroi da} is too longwinded and requires
> forethought. Any ideas?

But it's not actually true that it does it paroi ro mentu. Certainly
the planet hasn't been there forever, eh? lo'e mentu isn't quite
right either probably (i'm no astronomer though). It seems like
this may be a good place to use "le'e", as it's really not neccesarily
a representative lo'e minute of all the minutes, but is instead
representative of a relevant subset of lo'i mentu (particularly the
subset for which the planet hasn't yet been engulfed in its sun's
supernova or however else planets cease to be, and after which it
has formed). So I suggest {paroi le'e mentu}. pe'ipei

(btw; on a tangent: what the hell does x3 and x4 of plini mean?
Has anyone ever used them in a sentence?)

-- 
Jordan DeLong - [email-masked]
lu zo'o loi censa bakni cu terzba le zaltapla poi xagrai li'u
sei la mark. tuen. cusku