Subject: RE: [lojban] Context Leapers

From: "And Rosta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 00:33:57 +0100

pc:
> What would be wanted in Lojban is a widget to attach to a quantifier 
> that places it at the front of its context with maximum scope or can 
> insert it into a string of quantifiers at some place other than where 
> it physically lies. It may already be around, hidden away where the 
> index to CLL does not go 

Going for only the "places it at the front of its context with maximum 
scope" option would be insufficiently general for it to be satisfactory.
It wouldn't solve the basic problem.

Now a widget that would insert it into a string of quantifiers at some 
place other than where it physically lies would be cool, but the rules
& devices necessary to get it to work would be so burdensome to the
grammar and to the mind of the language user that the simplest option
would always be to reformulate so that quantifiers physically lie in
the place they are supposed to. 

I came to this conclusion after spending a long time -- months at
least, maybe longer -- trying to work out just the sort of widget
you are asking for. So here mine is the voice of experience not of
blinkered conservatism.

--And.