Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: paroi ro mentu

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 20:58:47 +0000

la djorden cusku di'e

>paroiku should behave just like any other floating tense-modal.

Indeed.

>For
>example
> baku mi klama la romas. .e la paris.
>means
> mi ba klama la romas. gi'e ba klama la paris.
> mi ba klama la romas. .ije mi ba klama la paris.

Does that say that my going to Paris happens after my going to
Rome?

>and not
> mi ba klama la romas. gi'e klama la paris.

But nobody suggested that {paroiku} would apply to the first
connectand only. I would have said:

baku zo'u ge mi klama la paris gi mi klama la romas

I don't think this establishes which of Paris or Rome is gone
to first. If distributing {ba} makes no difference to the
meaning, I don't see how this helps us to decide whether
{paroiku} can be distributed or not. Consider one that clearly
does make a difference:

ta'eku mi klama la paris e la romas

This is:

ta'eku zo'u ge mi klama la paris gi mi klama la romas
Typically, I go both to Paris and to Rome.

Is this the same as:

ta'eku mi klama la paris ije ta'eku mi klama la romas
Typically I go to Paris, and typically I go to Rome.

I don't think it is. Or use {ta'enai} for an even more clear case.

mu'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________
Join the world’s largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail. 
http://www.hotmail.com