Subject: [lojban] Re: On what there isn't

From: Edward Cherlin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 14:59:50 -0700

On Friday 27 September 2002 10:28 am, [email-masked] wrote:
> what struck me was a copy of Non-Existent Objects, by Terry
> Parsons, a book I had heard of but never seen before. And cheap
> (even if I wasn't already in the "this is just monopoly money" mode
> -- which cost me when I got the conversions on my bills).
>
> * What Parsons has done is devise a logical system -- which he
> shows consistent -- in which non-existent objects can play fairly
> normal roles

Parsons, T. 1980 Nonexistent Objects. New Haven: Yale University Press
out of print...nothing on Amazon...89 hits on Google.

Related topics: Meinongian ontology, non-Quinean quantifiers

Here is someone we could ask about these things.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~hofweber/papers/neo.html
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~hofweber/papers/neo.pdf
Quantification and Non-Existent Objects
Thomas Hofweber
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 

References

[ Barwise and Cooper1981]
Barwise, J., and R. Cooper. 1981. Generalized quantifiers and 
natural language. Linguistics and Philosophy 4:159-219.

[ Carnap1956]
Carnap, R. 1956. Empiricism, semantics, and ontology. In Meaning 
and Necessity. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.

[ Dalryple et al. 1998]
Dalryple, M., M. Kanazawa, Y. Kim, S. Mchombo, and S. Peters. 
1998. Reciprocal expressions and the concept of reciprocity. 
Linguistics and Philosophy 159-210.

[ Gamut1991]
Gamut, L. T. F. 1991. Logic, Language, and Meaning. Vol. II. 
University of Chicago Press.

[ Hofwebera]
Hofweber, T. n.d.a. Innocent statements and their metaphysically 
loaded counterparts. Unpublished ms., Unpublished manuscript.

[ Hofweberb]
Hofweber, T. n.d.b. Number determiners, numbers, and arithmetic. 
Unpublished ms., Unpublished manuscript.

[ Hofweberc]
Hofweber, T. n.d.c. A puzzle about ontology. Unpublished ms., 
Unpublished manuscript.

[ Hofweber1999]
Hofweber, T. 1999. Ontology and Objectivity. PhD thesis, Stanford 
University.

[ Lø nning1997]
Lø nning, J. T. 1997. Plurals and collectivity. In J. van Benthem 
and A. ter Meulen (Eds.), Handbook of Logic and Language. Elsevier.

[ Parsons1980]
Parsons, T. 1980. Nonexistent Objects. New Haven: Yale University 
Press.

[ van der Does1995]
van der Does, J. 1995. Sums and quantifiers. Linguistics and 
Philosophy 16:509-550.

[ van Inwagen2000]
van Inwagen, Peter. 2000. Quantification and fictional discourse. In 
A. Everett and T. Hofweber (Eds.), Empty Names, Fiction, and the 
Puzzles of Non-Existence. Stanford: CSLI Press.
-- 
Edward Cherlin
Generalist
"A knot! Oh, do let me help to undo it!"
--Alice in Wonderland