Subject: Re: [lojban] MELBI COI

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 20:17:28 -0400

On Saturday 28 September 2002 17:48, And Rosta wrote:
> - all improvements welcomed. I particularly struggled with trying to find
> ways to avoid ending lines (fourth lines) on a trochee -- "poi mroselfu
> le kam zifre" is particularly annoying; it would be nice if Lojban song
> allowed elision of the final vowel of a gismu. "fe mi litru" ought to be
> "mo'i zo'a mi litru"; I considered "i le be mo'i zo'a mi litru" as an
> alternative.

Me, when I sing "da pu laldo ninmu", I elide some of the final vowels:

da pu laldo ninmu co tunlo le sfan-
.i pe'i le sfan- nuntu'o na dran-
.i mutc- se xran-

da pu laldo ninmu co tunlo le mlat-
.i tunlo le mlat- .i cizra bo plat-

The final consonants of "sfan-", "dran-", "xran-", and "mutc-" are soft, but 
those of "mlat-" and "plat-" are not, because of the respective vowels.

I think that a little poetic license should be allowed in songs - we aren't 
singing for computers. I've seen bad grammar in French songs - "le petit 
navire" has the line "On tiras à la courte paille", where a wrong verb form 
is used for its liaison effect.

phma