Subject: RE: [lojban] MELBI COI

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 14:41:38 +0000

la and cusku di'e

>Can you do any better than {cu se li'i rulmle ua}, given that the
>original is "(they) say (to me) 'what a beautiful flower!'"?

(I think there's no "to me" in the original, they will just
say it.)

Direct quotation seems out of the question, maybe just {cu xrula
melbi cusku ua}.

>Moving on to another song, am I right in thinking that "el pueblo
>unido" is (alas) {loi prenu ku poi pa mei} and {loi prenu poi pa mei}
>would in fact have very much the opposite meaning from what is
>intended?

Right. "Unido" is more than {pamei} though, because it suggests
that it is the result of something (the result of uniting), not
just the present state. {poi ba'o pamei binxo}, I guess. Of course
it is not always possible to capture every nuance in a translation.

mu'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________
Join the world’s largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail. 
http://www.hotmail.com