Subject: RE: [lojban] MELBI COI

From: "And Rosta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 22:11:48 +0100

xorxes
> la and cusku di'e
> 
> >Can you do any better than {cu se li'i rulmle ua}, given that the
> >original is "(they) say (to me) 'what a beautiful flower!'"?
> 
> (I think there's no "to me" in the original, they will just
> say it.)

Some versions have {mi diranno}. There is no canonical original
version, which is one of the minor pleasures it holds for me. Any
words are 'correct' as long as they approximate the basic meaning
and fit the music.

> Direct quotation seems out of the question, maybe just {cu xrula
> melbi cusku ua}.

Maybe {cu melbi xrula ganse ua}.

> >Moving on to another song, am I right in thinking that "el pueblo
> >unido" is (alas) {loi prenu ku poi pa mei} and {loi prenu poi pa mei}
> >would in fact have very much the opposite meaning from what is
> >intended?
> 
> Right. "Unido" is more than {pamei} though, because it suggests
> that it is the result of something (the result of uniting), not
> just the present state. {poi ba'o pamei binxo}, I guess. Of course
> it is not always possible to capture every nuance in a translation.

Does "unido" mean that to you as a spanish speaker? Be#cause to me
it seems that it is the state of being in union that makes it
impossible to be conquered (or divided, in American). It doesn't
seem to matter whether this state is the result of uniting. In
English, en-participles are not necessarily resultative.

--And.