Subject: RE: [lojban] MELBI COI

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 21:53:47 +0000

la and cusku di'e

> > Right. "Unido" is more than {pamei} though, because it suggests
> > that it is the result of something (the result of uniting), not
> > just the present state. {poi ba'o pamei binxo}, I guess. Of course
> > it is not always possible to capture every nuance in a translation.
>
>Does "unido" mean that to you as a spanish speaker? Be#cause to me
>it seems that it is the state of being in union that makes it
>impossible to be conquered (or divided, in American). It doesn't
>seem to matter whether this state is the result of uniting. In
>English, en-participles are not necessarily resultative.

I don't know. I'm thinking of the slogan "el pueblo, unido, jamás
será vencido": "The people, united, will never be defeated".
Maybe the problem is that I've always understood it as an
unrealized aspiration and not as a description of a state of
affairs. I don't get the same from "Reino Unido", "Estados Unidos",
"Naciones Unidas", etc.

mu'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________
Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: http://messenger.msn.com