Subject: Re: bare cmevla

From: "jjllambias2000" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 22:52:10 -0000

la and cusku di'e

> Does that mean that if you hit a bare cmevla mid sentence the 
sentence
> terminates at that point?

Well, no, apparently they can only appear at the beginning
of a text. Two texts in a row don't form a grammatical text.
But I never fully assimilated the grammar at this level.

> > Of course, it would be so much more convenient to have it in 
BRIVLA...
> Or KOhA?

The way they currently work is more similar to BRIVLA, since
they require an article and they can form a sort of tanru.
Making them BRIVLA would require almost no changes from the
current language, KOhA would be a more drastic change.

> Baseline aside, would there be a downside to having bare cmevla in
> BRIVLA or KOhA?

None that I can think of. You'd have to say {la djan cu klama 
le zarci} instead of {la djan klama le zarci}, (I tend to do that
already in many cases anyway) and {la djan ku joi la meris} instead
of {la djan joi la meris}, but we already have to do that with 
normal words anyway. Of course pauses before the name would be
required except when preceded by la, lai, doi, but that is already
the case now when preceded by COI. No change in grammar is required
since the word class BRIVLA already exists. 

mu'o mi'e xorxes