Subject: [lojban] Re: Why linguists might be interested in Lojban (was: RE: Re: a new kind of fundamentalism

From: Robin Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2002 12:56:17 +0300

John Cowan wrote:
> And Rosta scripsit:
> 
> 
>>2. Naturalist Lojban might in its own right be of some intrinsic 
>>interest to linguistics, but more as a curiosity than as anything
>>that can advance the central research goals of linguistics.
>>
> 
> Well, the central research goals of Chomsky-style linguistics, anyway.
> Sociolinguists and functional linguists certainly might be interested.
> 
> 

I imagine cognitive linguists would also find it interesting from the 
point of metaphor. Lojban combines the explicit metaphor-making of 
lujvo (which are not metaphorical in the common sense of the word, but 
are in the cogling sense) with an attempt to suppress unmarked metaphor 
(which to a mainstream cognitive linguist would be quixotic but 
interesting).

robin.tr

-- 
"We do not imprison ourselves with laws, or impoverish ourselves with 
money" - Iain Banks

Robin Turner
IDMYO
Bilkent Universitesi
Ankara 06533
Turkey

www.bilkent.edu.tr/~robin