Subject: RE: [lojban] Re: Why linguists might be interested in Lojban (was: RE: Re: a new kind of fundamentalism

From: Robert LeChevalier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 17:15:39 -0400

At 04:00 PM 10/8/02 -0400, Craig wrote:
> >At various times, I've posted the 5 step criteria used to judge fluency,
> >where level 4 and 5 are typically only found in native speakers, and people
> >who can pass as natives. I suspect that even the best of us Lojbanists are
> >at most a high level 2.
>
>I don't believe I've ever seen this. Could you send it to me?

I'll send the pointers to the list, since no one should have to look 
through the archives.

Here are the two 5-point scales in common use. Both are similar; the ILR 
scale is the one that I have been referring to that used to be called the 
foreign service scale.
http://www.utm.edu/~globeg/ilrhome.shtml
http://www.sil.org/lingualinks/LANGUAGELEARNING/OtherResources/ACTFLProficiencyGuidelines/TheACTFLGuidelines.htm

The following shows the ILR scale as applied to Spanish language learners, 
and comments on the unlikelihood of actually achieving level 4 and 5.

http://www.platiquemos-letstalk.com/rating.html

Note that the ILR calls levels 3 and 4 "professional skill levels". My 
comment to xod about hobbyists achieving level 4 recognizes that hobbyists 
often can achieve some level of professional skill in a discipline, but 
seldom would be considered "advanced" unless their hobby becomes a full 
time (pre)occupation.

I would like someone to add this info (in some form) to the wiki at the 
appropriate point. The following has the short version of the ILR scale, 
which might be appropriate with pointers to the full version which is too 
long (someone should check for copyright restriction before copying the 
standard wholesale, but I think it was developed by the US government and 
hence is not restricted).

http://www.sil.org/lingualinks/LANGUAGELEARNING/MangngYrLnggLrnngPrgrm/TheILRFSIProficiencyScale.htm

lojbab

-- 
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org