Subject: [lojban] Re: Again with the Alice.

From: Adam Raizen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 00:58:17 +0200

la camgusmis. cusku di'e

> > I don't know how it was before you added the links,
>
> Did you look at Chapter 2?

Yes, I thought that you might have made some more changes in between
the two messages.

> > but I don't think that I could stand having each paragraph on its
own
> > page; it would interrupt the flow of translating and be very
annoying.
> > Other than that, making it more wiki-like is good. Perhaps you
could
> > just run them all together.
>
> Look at AliceChapter1Complete

All the content is there, but you can't edit it. With the way it is
now, you have to edit a single paragraph, then submit it, then move on
to the next paragraph, then edit that one, rather than simply moving a
few lines down in the text box. It makes it needlessly difficult to
translate anything longer than a paragraph.

> > Btw, I assume it would not be a problem to click on edit for a
page,
> > disconnect from the internet, translate some, and then reconnect
and
> > submit it (some of us have dialup accounts, and have to pay for
local
> > calls).
>
> And that is *exactly* why I split it into paragraphs:
>
> While you are gone the page is locked. People can break the lock,
but
> then things get messy. I didn't want whole chapters to be locked at
> once long term.
>
> It expires after one hour, but still. And this way I can increase
that
> time limit.

That might solve your locking problem, but it exacerbates the dialup
problem. With the way it is now, I would have to dialup my ISP,
retrieve the paragraph, disconnect, translate it, dialup again, submit
and get the next paragraph, disconnect, etc. It strongly discourages
doing much more than a paragraph at a time.

mu'o mi'e .adam.