Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: [Announcement] The Alice Translation Has Moved And Changed

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 01:29:42 +0000

la camgusmis cusku di'e

> > It would be insufferably rude for me to just go and change someone
> > else's work,
>
>Actually, that's sort of the point: please do.

I suppose I can't complain about this, since those were the
rules from the beginning, but having done more than 90% of
the translation, I have grown a bit possesive of it. I love
for people to read it, criticize, comment and propose changes,
but I really don't like that they just change things unless
they are obvious typos. It is true that I did change the
work of others too. I believe Adam did a chapter and a bit,
and I didn't change almost anything of his because our styles
are very similar. I think Robin and Pierre both did parts of
a chapter, and I did change those rather severely, not because
they were wrong, but because they were too different. I mainly
changed the quoting conventions so as to harmonize with the
rest of the book, but also some other matters of style. If the
idea is to keep changing it, I don't have a problem with that,
but if it starts to change too much I would then keep my own
copy separate for myself.

As an example: I use {li re ji'i ci} to translate "(approximately)
two or three". Pierre prefers {li re bi'i ci} for this, so he
changes it (perhaps thinking that it was a typo, or perhaps just
because he thinks it is more correct). We could argue which one
is better, but I have used this expression in maybe ten or more
places in the book, so changing just one is not really an
improvement. When I notice the change, I change it back. How
does this end? The most stubborn wins?

mu'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________
Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: http://messenger.msn.com