Subject: [lojban] The Future Jbotreya (was: Why linguists might be interested in Lojban (was: a new kind of fundamentalism))

From: Invent Yourself <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 23:12:50 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, Robert LeChevalier wrote:

> You can detect incompleteness.

Is Lojban incomplete?

> In terms of current Lojban, my guess is that a level 4 person, when
> confronted by ANY "how to say it" question that is worthy of weeks of
> jboske debate would know the answer off the top of his head, and it would
> be unarguably correct. (A level 5 speaker could come up with multiple ways
> to say it and explain the pros and cons and nuances of each in terms that
> everyone would recognize as unarguably correct

Isn't it exciting to imagine such a thing?

However, the L4 and L5 le ba jbopre would issue answers that le ca jbopre
might be intimidated into believing, but that would run afoul of certain
current opinions. For the le ba jbopre will have learned a purified Lojban
that has found resolutions to questions that are outstanding, and would
know the historically successful answers to controversies, but not be able
to necessarily convince naysayers.

-- 
Before Sept. 11 there was not the present excited talk about a strike
on Iraq. There is no evidence of any connection between Iraq and that
act of terrorism. Why would that event change the situation?
-- Howard Zinn