Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: Re: [Announcement] The Alice Translation Has Moved And Changed

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 14:07:32 +0000

la nitcion cusku di'e

> > I suppose I can't complain about this, since those were the
> > rules from the beginning, but having done more than 90% of
> > the translation, I have grown a bit possesive of it.
>
>.i .u'i semu'ibo mi cajeba .ainai na cmima lo gumni poi finti lo larcu
>se ciska

i do mi zmadu le ka prije i ku'i mi na xenru le se lifri
i mi ba'o cilre i mi ca'o nonkansa le nu fanva zoi fy Le
Petit Prince fy

> > We could argue which one
> > is better, but I have used this expression in maybe ten or more
> > places in the book, so changing just one is not really an
> > improvement.
>
>.i gonai ge le ce cusku cu baca'a vrici gi seni'ibo tolmelbi gi'e ku'i
>na se jatna
>gi ge do bapli lenu le prosa cu mapti ledo tadji gi seku'ibo pamei le'i
>fuzme be le se cusku

i ie i mi nalcatni gi'eku'i ca'a cinmo le ka fuzme kei mu'i le nu
mi finti piso'e le xe fanva

>.i caku ro nu cusku lo banzu be le ka pluja bei bau la lojban cu nu
>vlipa .i le nu vlipa cu .ei se fuzme .i le nu stika lei selsku be loi
>drata cu ji'a .ei se fuzme

i drani i mi ralju fuzme tu'a le ca xe fanva i ku'i li'a roba'oi le
du'u ri za'o se galfi loi drata kei mi co'u fuzme

>And, may I add, no sympathy. If you've been Jorgeanising Pierre's
>stuff, I say we drop the pretense that the text is collaborative, and
>make you editor and be done with it.

That's kind of what I was suggesting. I did ask Robin and Pierre
for permission before I made the changes, Robin gave me the go ahead
but Pierre didn't answer. On the other hand, his was the shortest
piece, so I didn't feel too guilty about it. (I didn't ask Adam
because I almost didn't touch his part.)

>You can't both be one of the team
>and appropriating the end product, even if you did do 90% of the work.
>Conversely, if there is no notion of ownership of the text, then there
>is *nothing* preventing me restoring sane punctuation to the entire
>text tomorrow.

That's the least of the problems, it's just a matter of
presentation. The work would be the same with or without dots.
(If someone does want to put the dots in though, they should put
them everywhere, not just in front of initial vowels and after
final consonants but also in the tricky places.) On the other
hand, using {ji'i} or {bi'i} (just as an example) makes a
significant difference. I don't think the idea can be that
we just keep changing them back and forth until someone gets
tired.

>Not that I'd want nothing to do with a text that refuses to put dots
>before the i's anyway.

i ko catlu le se vasru enai le vasru

>No smiley there, either.

i ku'i u'i mi na ka'e rivbi le nu mi ganse sy

mu'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________
Join the world’s largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail. 
http://www.hotmail.com