Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: [Announcement] The Alice Translation Has Moved And Changed

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 16:00:41 +0000

la djorden cusku di'e

>While I don't advocate CVS-wars, I've got to say that this is an
>situation where it *is* simply correcting an error. "re ji'i ci"
>means twenty-three, where the digit "3" has been rounded. This is
>part of the language definition. It's not like we are talking about
>something which is legitimate to dispute: CLL *clearly* says what
>PA+ ji'i PA+ means in chapter 18.

You know that that is not the only position within the community.
I will post something about the semantic issue on jboske for
those interested. As for the policy on what errors should be
corrected (and who decides what constitutes an error), I think
the host of the page will have to decide, and the rest of us
can act accordingly.

>That said; you could always just fork Alice and have the "xorxes
>version" of the translation. There's nothing wrong with that course
>of action, in my opinion, and since you translated so much of it
>it is certainly justifiable.

Right. I'd prefer for there to remain a single version, but if
I am not the final editor then I prefer to have a separate version
somewhere else.

>(Though I, for one, would still think
>it quite unfortunate should you choose to continue to deliberately
>misuse ji'i).

I find the official definition broken, that's all.

>I believe the current translation text is public
>domain; so anyone who wants to can fork it.

Of course, I'm not claiming any legal rights!

>If you continue to
>work on it as a group project though you can't expect complete
>control over the xe fanva.

The work is mostly finished, only some minor revisions remain to
be done, and the translation of one poem in chapter 11 has to be
completed.

mu'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________
Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device: http://mobile.msn.com