Subject: [lojban] Re: [Announcement] The Alice Translation Has Moved And Changed

From: Robin Lee Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 16:58:28 -0700

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 08:13:32PM +0000, Jorge Llambias wrote:
> la camgusmis cusku di'e
> 
> >Understandable. This, by the way, is why I want to move it to the
> >wiki: so no one person will do 90%.
> 
> That's good for the next project, but Alice is almost done already. 

I hadn't realized the extent to which that was true. See below.

Oh, and by the way, I also hadn't realized how much of Alice you had
done. I thought two or three people had done it more-or-less evenly.

I think I can speak for most of the community in saying:

ki'ecai do gasnu da poi traji xamgu lo lojbo cecmu

> (I haven't checked on the Bible for a while, but I think Pierre did
> close to 100% of the work there.)

Yes, but it's no-where anywhere *near* to 100% of the bible.

> > > I love for people to read it, criticize, comment and propose
> > > changes, but I really don't like that they just change things
> > > unless they are obvious typos.
> >
> >Is that an offer to go through and edit the whole thing and bring it
> >into line with a common standard?
> 
> I have been going through the whole thing and revising it. 

Aaaahhhh....

That changes everything. I had no idea.

If you are willing to be the Official Alice Person, I will remove it from
the Wiki entirely (since you seem quite comfortable with CVS).

That would make me pleased as punch, too.

> It is already in standard Lojban. 

Standard as in that used in the CLL.

It needs dots.

> The only things that don't parse might be a couple of {ka'enai} here
> and there, anything else nonparsable is unintentional. 

<nod>

> As for things like my use of {ji'i}, I would be willing to change it
> given the strong rejection it seems to cause, but not to {bi'i}, which
> I understand to be for intervals. I might just use {ji'i re} or {ji'i
> ci} for a less faithful but also less controversial translation.

Well, "li ji'i re bi'i ci" seems OK, but what's wrong with "li re .onai
ju'ocu'i li ci"?

> As for the dots (which are NOT punctuation in Lojban), wouldn't it be
> possible to generate an automatic dotted version for those who can't
> read the dotless one? 

Probably. I'm not sure about the tricky cases, but an overly
enthusiastic dot adder must be possible, and I'd be happy to write one.

Is it a problem with you if the 'official' version has dots, and the
non-dotted version is clearly marked as such?

-Robin

-- 
http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/ http://www.lojban.org/
la lojban. jai curmi roda .einai to ku'i so'ada mukti le nu co'a
darlu le'o -- RLP I'm a *male* Robin.