Subject: [lojban] Re: [Announcement] The Alice Translation Has Moved And Changed

From: And Rosta <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 14:35:03 +0100

Jay:
#> I dislike that convention (starting sentences on new lines) because it
#> violates centuries of established typographical tradition. Instead I
#> insert two or three spaces before {i}. The extra whitespace serves
#> as a visual cue to the sentence boundaries, while at the same time
#> respecting typographical tradition and keeping violations of
#> audiovisual isomorphism to a minimum.
#
#Typographic tradition is per-language, or at least per-language family.
#Lojban has none. Lojban has inherited none.

Typographic tradition is per script. Lojban did not create its own script.
It borrowed the roman alphabet.

#If arbitrary typographic traditions are acceptable, then there is
#every reason to assert that we ought to be writing it top to bottom
#right to left, like the kanji-using languages. Or maybe you meant to
#say "western european typographic tradition". Or "typographic
#tradition that suits me".

I meant "roman alphabet-using typographic tradition". For Lojban
written in arabic script, the arabic script tradition applies. Same for
Lojban in katakana. And so forth.

--And.