Subject: [lojban] Re: Final Translation Wiki Idea: PLEASE READ.

From: Jim Carter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 09:52:17 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Nora LeChevalier wrote:
> I wish to suggest relying on the goodwill of all involved instead of only
> automatic locking. If, as a custom, one who wishes to log out a piece of
> work would put a (dated/timed?) comment to that effect at the top, to be
> removed when the final posting is done, others who are willing to abide by
> the convention will not make changes despite the page not being
> locked. The duration of the lock may then become a non-issue.

By coincidence, just yesterday I sent around a message in my work group
chiding people for forgetting to remove equivalent expiration-dated
notices.

I wonder if the lock time could be configurable at the time of checkout,
according to the particular person's style of work -- which apparently
varies widely. Can locks be renewed, if the modifications go more slowly
than expected?

Good fences make good neighbors. Automated locking on the server can
cheaply give a lot of help in coordination. Locking (one lock per file) is
standard practice in software development.

James F. Carter Voice 310 825 2897 FAX 310 206 6673
UCLA-Mathnet; 6115 MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA, USA 90095-1555
Email: [email-masked] http://www.math.ucla.edu/~jimc (q.v. for PGP key)