Subject: [lojban] Re: [Announcement] The Alice Translation Has Moved And Changed

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 12:44:27 -0400 (EDT)

Pierre Abbat scripsit:

> Catalan uses dots in the middles of words, as in "gal.les" Cymraeg, to 
> indicate that the l's are two hard l's, not one soft one. (The dot is 
> supposed to be raised, but I can't type that.)

>>From the Unicode viewpoint, the sequence "l." is actually a letter,
so this is a matter of spelling rather than typographical tradition.

> Several languages, notably Bantu but I've also seen it in Portuguese and 
> Irish, capitalize letters in the middle of words.

Yes.

Also, Chinese, Japanese, and Korean represent the self-same ideographs
differently. This is not about simplified vs. traditional, but simply
different shape conventions -- it's fairly obvious to all players that
the characters are really the same, even though they look funny.

-- 
John Cowan <[email-masked]> http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
"One time I called in to the central system and started working on a big
thick 'sed' and 'awk' heavy duty data bashing script. One of the geologists
came by, looked over my shoulder and said 'Oh, that happens to me too.
Try hanging up and phoning in again.'" --Beverly Erlebacher