Subject: [lojban] Re: x1 is of type x2

From: Jordan DeLong <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 20:01:04 -0500

On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 11:56:38PM +0100, And Rosta wrote:
> Jordan:
> > On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 10:46:40AM -0500, Jordan DeLong wrote:
> > > On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 01:56:06PM +0100, And Rosta wrote:
> > [...]
> > > Also I think the original makes a stronger claim than "na bilga" (== it
> > > is false that should), so perhaps you should consider using a scalar
> > > negator. Something like
> > > to'e bilga co tavla fi le'e tai co'e va'o loi sivni
> > > bilga co to'e tavla fi le'e tai co'e va'o loi sivni
> > > .einai tavla fi le'e tai co'e va'o loi sivni
> > > .e'i to'e tavla fi le'e tai co'e va'o loi sivni
> > > (or other such thing)
> > 
> > Or you could even just put it in the selbri tag place (for any of the
> > above variants, (and others)):
> > to'e bilga co tai tavla va'o loi sivni

Ahh just realized the above doesn't work anyway: tai needs to be in
front of the whole selbri, which would change the meaning, so it would
need to be brought into a subordinate clause anyway to keep it, which is
probably worse.

> > Which is probably a lot better than "fi le'e tai co'e".
> 
> "tai tavla" would meant something like "talk in a zo'e-ish way",
> whereas "tavla fi le'e tai co'e" would mean "talk about the co'e
> of the zo'e sort", which seems a better translation (at least in
> the context of manifold considerations about what makes for a
> good translation).

Ahh probably true. "tai tavla" could refer to things other than the
subject I guess (standing on one foot, etc).

> What is the difference between {tai} and {se kai}? 

tai isn't a ka. se kai gives you a quality found in the whatever,
where tai says it is like some other thing in some quality.
Something like:

mi tavla tai lo'e gerku
I talk like a dog

mi tavla sekai leka ce'u jai fenki
My talking exhibits the quality of it being frenzied
I talk crazily

-- 
Jordan DeLong - [email-masked]
lu zo'o loi censa bakni cu terzba le zaltapla poi xagrai li'u
sei la mark. tuen. cusku