Subject: Re: [lojban] brivla for 'intend'

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 20:35:16 +0000

la and cusku di'e

>What is the best brivla for "x intends that p, x intends to p", given that
>intention does not entail action (or deliberate inaction) and that, ba'e 
>ti'e,
>intention is a psychological primitive (i.e. doesn't reduce to a complex of
>other notions)?

I tend to use {zukte fi} for lack of a better option, but it is certainly a 
gap
in the vocabulary.

>{selzilterzukte} is a bit of a mouthful, and won't easily crunch down to 
>form
>other lujvo, and furthermore, what one's goals are is not quite the same as 
>what
>one intends. For example, one can intend something whose natural tendency 
>is to
>occur unless actively prevented, so long as one decides not to prevent it. 
>But I
>wouldn't describe that as one's goal.

We could rationalize it as: mi zukte le nu mi cando kei ko'a.

I think {zukte} is one of those gismu that kills two concepts with one
bloating. Both {zukte fe zi'o} and {zukte fi zi'o} would be useful
words. People end up using {gasnu} for {zukte fi zi'o}, which in
my opinion is wrong.

mu'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________
Get faster connections -- switch to MSN Internet Access! 
http://resourcecenter.msn.com/access/plans/default.asp