Subject: [lojban] Re: brivla for 'intend'

From: Jordan DeLong <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 20:24:18 -0500

On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 01:47:07AM +0100, And Rosta wrote:
> Jordan:
> > On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 08:35:16PM +0000, Jorge Llambias wrote:
> > > la and cusku di'e
> > > I tend to use {zukte fi} for lack of a better option, but it is certainly a
> > > gap
> > > in the vocabulary.
> >
> > I've been using djica for this. I think english stuff like "I
> > intended/meant to do that, but ...", is just mi pu djica ...
> 
> {djica} is pretty good, but I think it makes sense to say "I wanted
> to go to Paris but I didn't intend to go", and "We intended to
> execute the prisoners because we had to execute them, even though
> we didn't want to execute the prisoners".

I think this is actually just an example of how many things "intend"
really means in english. In the first sentence, the "didn't intend"
means that you didn't actually decide to go even though you wanted
to -- so something with "jdice" would work in lojban. For the
second, depending on context, the "intend" might be "troci".

I'd imagine that some usages of intend could "platu" as well.

-- 
Jordan DeLong - [email-masked]
lu zo'o loi censa bakni cu terzba le zaltapla poi xagrai li'u
sei la mark. tuen. cusku