Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: brivla for 'intend'

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 16:40:12 +0000

la pycyn cusku di'e

>2. This, incidentally, is partly the intersection of {zukte} and {gasnu}: I
>zukte this to achieve that, but I gasnu the other,

Don't you agree that in that case, I have to be the agent of "this",
but need not be (and generally am not) the agent of "the other"?

In {ko'a zukte le nu broda}, the claim is that {ko'a} is the agent
of the sub-event {nu broda}. We would not say, for example
{mi zukte le nu le mlatu cu citka le rectu}, but rather
{mi gasnu le nu le mlatu cu citka le rectu}. We would not say
{mi gasnu le nu mi citka} unless we were doing something
addittional to just eating, like making ourselves eat, would
we?

The x1 of gasnu is the agent of le nu gasnu, but not of le se gasnu.
The x1 of zukte, on the other hand, is the agent of le se zukte.

{gasnu} adds an agent place. {zukte} selects the agent from
a relationship that already has one.

Of course {zukte} is only for volitional agents. {zukte fi zi'o} for
selecting agents in general.

mu'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________
Unlimited Internet access for only $21.95/month.  Try MSN! 
http://resourcecenter.msn.com/access/plans/2monthsfree.asp