Subject: [lojban] Re: enlighten

From: Robin Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 18:46:15 +0300

Viktoro wrote:
> I could not find "enlighten" in the lists...
>
> I thought of combining <gusni> "light" with <sanji> "conscious" as
> in <gu'isanji>.
>
> Is that a good lujvo?
>
> Are there other possibilities?
>
> co'o mi'e viktor.

Using gusni would be unacceptable metaphor, I think. It may be the case
that most (maybe all?) cultures use the KNOWING IS SEEING metaphor, but
that won't work in Lojban - you could probably get away with a
metaphorical use of gusni in a text (come to think of it, I've used that
same gismu in that way myself), but lujvo are more problematic. Lujvo,
like tanru, are metaphorical by definition, but in a rather more
restricted sense of "metaphorical"; i.e. in using "gu'isanji" you are
saying that someone is aware of something in a way that is related to
photons.

Which lujvo you choose to make depends on what sense of the word 
"enlighten" you want. "sajgau" is a possibility - "cause to become aware".

robin.tr