Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: zil

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 15:57:45 +0000

la djan cusku di'e

>To be precise, zi'o provides the operation of the
>relational algebra called "projection", whereby an n-place relation
>becomes an (n-1)-place relation.

This serves as a superficial analogy, but it's not quite the same thing.
zi'o expands the meaning of a selbri, a projection doesn't. A projection
just fixes the value of one of the arguments, or restricts in some way
the relationship between the arguments. zi'o goes the other way.
It would be more appropriate to say that the zi'o-less selbri is a
projection of the zi'o-selbri. Only a subset of the arguments that
satisfy the zi'o-selbri will satisfy the zi'o-less one.

> > An example:
> >
> > pikta
> > x1 is a ticket entitling x2 to entitlement/privilege x3 under conditions 
>x4
> >
> > zilpikta (< zilpavypikta)
> > x1 has right/entitlement/privilege x2 under conditions x3
>
>An excellent example!

Yes, very good. {pikta} is a projection of {zilpikta}, from all 
relationships
of entitlement to only those relationships involving tickets.

Also:

zilrelpikta
x1 is a ticket giving entitlement/privilege x2 under conditions x3

To include tickets that are not personalized.

and:

zilreljvecibypikta
x1 is a ticket under conditions x2

To include tickets that don't necessarily entitle privileges.

(It is still a mystery to me why some gismu have an "under conditions"
place and others don't.)

mu'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________
Protect your PC - get McAfee.com VirusScan Online 
http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963