Subject: [lojban] Re: brivla for 'intend'

From: "And Rosta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 21:30:42 +0100

Jordan:
> On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 01:47:07AM +0100, And Rosta wrote:
> > {djica} is pretty good, but I think it makes sense to say "I wanted
> > to go to Paris but I didn't intend to go", and "We intended to
> > execute the prisoners because we had to execute them, even though
> > we didn't want to execute the prisoners".
> 
> I think this is actually just an example of how many things "intend"
> really means in english. In the first sentence, the "didn't intend"
> means that you didn't actually decide to go even though you wanted
> to -- so something with "jdice" would work in lojban. For the
> second, depending on context, the "intend" might be "troci".
> 
> I'd imagine that some usages of intend could "platu" as well.

I agree that jdice and platu cover a lot of the cases. (But I don't
agree that 'intend' is polysemous. That's beside the point, though.)

--And.