Subject: [lojban] Re: brivla for 'intend'

From: Invent Yourself <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 16:43:43 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 17 Oct 2002, And Rosta wrote:

> xod:
> > ..oiru'e vu'enairu'edai mu'i ma do du'eroi sisku le ka ce'u satci velfanva
> > be fi le banrglico goi G
>
> If I'm translating, that's part of what translation involves. Also, I
> like to feel that in certain key things (such as 'logicality') Lojban
> is at least as good as English. But in this particular instance, as
> I tried to make clear in my message, the reason was la'e zoi zoi ba'e
> ti'e, intention is a psychological primitive (i.e. doesn't reduce to
> a complex of other notions) zoi

.i go'i fi'o catni ma

> > ..i pe'i xamgu fa le du'u da poi valsi fi le lojbo cu na'eka'e satci mapti
> > de poi valsi fi G ku'o soi
>
> I quite agree. I certainly wouldn't expect Lojban to be able to lexically
> distinguish the nuanced distinctions among, say, dweebs, nerds, berks
> and twerps. But I would expect Lojban vocab to cover the basic range
> of concepts one needs for ordinary communication, especially those
> that aren't readily nameable by lujvo or fuhivla.
>
> > .i ganai na go'i gi L na vlipa .i pe'a drata ke
> > smuni selci ve'e le sidbo canlu
>
> That's all well and good, but (a) if there's a concept I can express
> in English, I'd like to be able to express it in Lojban too, and it
> is legitimate to wonder whether one must resort to fuhivla in such
> cases, and (b) I'm here talking about expressing basic translinguistic
> concepts here, on a level analogous with, say, {troci}.

gu pu'i galfi le selbangu be G le selbangu be L gi da pavmapti de

-- 
Henry McCullers, an affable Plano, TX-area anti-Semite, praised the
Jewish people Monday for doing "a bang-up job" running the media.
"This has been such a great year for movies, and the new crop of fall
TV shows looks to be one of the best in years," McCullers said.
"And the cable news channels are doing a terrific job, too. Admittedly,
they're not reporting on the Jewish stranglehold on world finance,
but, hey, that's understandable."