Subject: [lojban] Re: enlighten

From: Invent Yourself <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 11:27:21 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, robin wrote:

> We run into the problem of ineffability here. Lojban usage tends pretty
> strongly towards lujvo being a reasonably accurate description of their
> referents (with some notable exceptions!), but people who have
> experienced such "higher" states of consciousness are fairly unanimous
> in saying that it can't be put into words. The metaphors used are by no
> means universal either; compare, for example, Sanskrit "nirvana"
> (extinguishing) and Turkish "ermek", which is probably related to
> "erimek", "to dissolve". Other metaphors involve expansion or returning,
> and of course when comparing "enlightenment" across cultures, we can't
> even be sure we are talking about the same state of consciousness anyway.
>
> One possibility would be to concentrate on the perceived loss of ego in
> such states of consciousness. "nalse'i menli" perhaps?

le do 1moi selsku pagbu goi ko'a cu natfe le do 2moi .i mi zmanei ko'a
noi ke'a nibli le mu'e finti le fu'ivla be le'a li 3

-- 
Henry McCullers, an affable Plano, TX-area anti-Semite, praised the
Jewish people Monday for doing "a bang-up job" running the media.
"This has been such a great year for movies, and the new crop of fall
TV shows looks to be one of the best in years," McCullers said.
"And the cable news channels are doing a terrific job, too. Admittedly,
they're not reporting on the Jewish stranglehold on world finance,
but, hey, that's understandable."