Subject: [lojban] Re: Non-logical (incidental) "if"?

From: Theodore Reed <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 15:06:40 -0800

On Mon, 28 Oct 2002 17:12:36 -0500
Randall Nortman <[email-masked]> wrote:

> How would this be translated into Lojban:
> 
> I'm going to the store if you want to come along.
> 
> This is clearly not a logical if-then statement. This is, "I'm going
> to the store now, which is relevant to your decision to go to the
> store because my going to the store makes it more convenient for you
> to go to the store." Of course, one could just say:
> 
> mi klama le zarci .i xu do klama
> 
> But this does not fully capture the sentiment of the English. Is
> there a more elegant way?
> 
> On a distantly related note, how would "in case" be translated, e.g.,
> "I'll bring a blanket in case it gets cold." I say this is related,
> because many people might say the first sentence as "I'm going to the
> store in case you want to come along," which is not strictly what they
> mean to say. They mean "I'm going to the store, and I'm telling you
> this in case you'd like to come along."

Er... what other meanings can "I'm going to the store if you want to
come along" have, other than "If you want to come with me, I'll go to
the store. (Otherwise, I won't.)" or "I'm going to the store, and I'm
telling you this in case you'd like to come along. (or perhaps "I'm
telling you this because you might want to come along")"?

-- 
Theodore Reed (rizen/bancus) -==- http://surreality.us:8080/~rizen/
~GPG/PGP Signed/Encrypted Mail Preferred; Finger me for my public key!~

"I read my note again today: "Do something important." Once again, I'm
at a loss." -- Brandon Mechtley